This dish is light, tangy and fresh - making it perfect for a warm summers night when stone fruit is in season. This dish can be easily made smaller and turned into an entree.
Vue Du Volcan Duck Breast 4
Celeriac 1 large
White wine vinegar 150g
Cooking oil 1 Tbsp
Salt To taste
1. Take the duck breast and using a sharp knife make shallow cuts into the skin across the whole area at 2mm intervals. Be careful not to cut all the way through to the meat. This is called scoring and will help with duck to cook evenly and create a nice crispy skin. Season the skin liberally with salt, approx 1 Tbsp, and let to sit for 20 minutes.
2. Remove the skin from the celeriac and dish the dice the flesh into cubes. Place in a medium-sized saucepan and cover with water. Cook on a high heat until the celeriac in tender, approximately 25 minutes. Drain off the excess water and process in a stand-up or stick blender with cream to create a smooth puree.
3. Remove any excess greenery from the fennel and reserve for later. Using a sharp knife or mandoline, slice the fennel from the top of the bulb into thin pieces. Transfer fennel to a metal bowl. Meanwhile, heat the white wine vinegar, sugar and water in a pot until all of the sugar is dissolved. Pour the hot pickling liquid over the fennel and set aside for a minimum of 30 minutes.
4. Cut the plums in half and remove the core. Coat the plums in oil and cook on a very hot grill, BBQ or frying pan until dark. The sugars in the plums will caramelise and add a beautiful smokey flavor.
5. To cook the duck breast, get a non-stick pan to a medium hot temperature with 1 Tbsp of oil. Place the duck breast in skin side down and cook until golden brown, approximately 4-5 minutes. Flip the duck over and cook in the oven for a further 3-4 minutes. Remove the breast from the pan and let rest for 8-10 minutes.
6. To serve, make a swipe on the plate with the celeriac puree. Slice the duck breast into pieces and add to the plate. Drain off the pickled fennel (reserve liquid for future use) and add to the plate with grilled plums. Garnish with fennel herbs.