Don't let the idea of cooking offal put you off making this dish! Duck livers super delicious and are packed full of amazing vitamins and minerals. This dish is great as an entree or a snack then you have guests over.
Vue Du Volcan Duck livers 500g
Butter, softened 150g
Thickened cream 100ml
Brandy or Port 100ml
Zucchini 2 large
White wine vinegar 300g
French stick 1
Garlic 2 cloves
Cooking Oil 2 Tbsp
Salt To taste
1. Cook the livers in oil a medium hot frying pan until golden brown, approximately 2-3 minutes on each side. Cook the livers in batches, doing about a third at a time. When you have cooked all of the livers, turn the pan on full heat and wait 1-2 minutes. When the pan is really hot, pour in the brandy or port to deglaze. BE CAREFUL - the liquid will catch on fire! Cook for 2 minutes and remove from the heat.
2. Transfer the liver, brandy, butter, and cream into a food processor and blend until smooth. Season to taste. Pass through a fine sieve while warm and transfer into the ramekins. Allow the pate to set in the fridge for 1-2 hours. Note - you can eat this straight away if you like!
3. To make the pickled zucchini, heat the white wine vinegar, sugar and water in a pot until the sugar is dissolved. Using a peeler, cut the zucchini into long strips and transfer into a metal bowl. Pour the hot pickling liquid over the zucchini and let sit for a minimum of 30 minutes.
4. To make the garlic croutons, slice the bread sticks into long thin pieces. Lightly coat with oil and bake in the oven until golden and crunchy. Let the croutons cool down on an oven rack. Just before serving, rub the raw garlic over the toasted croutons.
5. To serve, take out the pate for 10-20 minutes to bring up to room temerature. Serve on a plate or board with the pickled zucchini and garlic croutons.