This dessert is a nice twist on a classic. Adding the olive oil to the sponge brings a light grassy flavour to the dish which balances really nicely with the yogurt cream and berries. If you want extra wow-factor, get some freeze dried berries to crush on top!
Plain flour 150g
Olive oil 60ml
Free range pastured eggs 5
White sugar 150g
Mixed frozen berries 200g
Cinnamon 1 stick
Full cream 100ml
Raspberries 1 punnet
Blueberries 1 punnet
Freeze dried raspberries (optional) 10g
1. Preheat the oven to 160C. Line a tray with grease-proof baking paper and coat with oil spray. Using an electric beater, whisk the eggs until they get pale and foamy. Add the sugar and continue whisking until the mixture doubles in size and gets thick and rich. Slowly drizzle in the oil while whisking. The mixture should create soft peaks.
2. Sift the flour into the mixture and gently fold the ingredient together. You don't want to be too rough or all of the air will go out of the mixture and your sponge cake will be flat. Once mixed, pour into the lined baking tray and cook for 40 minutes uncovered. Once cooked, remove from oven and leave to cool down in the tray.
3. While the sponge is cooking, combine the frozen berries, honey and cinnamon stick together in a saucepan. Cook on a medium heat for approx. 20 minutes until the berries have turned into a loose jam.
4. Whisk the cream in a metal bowl until firm peaks and gently fold through the yogurt. Adding the yogurt to the cream like this creates a really nice texture and also adds a bit of extra freshness.
5. To serve, tear the olive oil sponge into chunks and place on the plate. Put a healthy dollop of the yogurt cream in the middle and add the berry jam around the plate. Sprinkle the fresh berries around the plate and, if using, crush the freeze dried raspberries all over. Eat immediately.