Prep time: 30 mins | Cook Time: 1 hour | Difficulty: Medium | Serving Size: 6
There is nothing better than freshly made ricotta! Matched with the buckwheat blini, avocado, and poached egg - this breakfast will keep you satisfied throughout the day.
Full cream milk 2L
White vinegar 80ml
Buckwheat flour 2 cup
Oil 2 Tbsp
1. Pour the full cream milk into a large pot and heat until 95oC. Just before it begins to boil, add the white vinegar and stir gently with a metal spoon. You will see the curds start to form. Let sit for 5 minutes and then pour the mixture into a colander with a muslin or chux cloth to capture the curds. Leave to cool.
2. Put the buckwheat flour into a metal bowl and make a well in the middle. Add the 100ml milk and eggs into the bowl until and mix together gently. You want the blini batter to be combined and smooth, but you don't want to work it too much.
3. Heat the oil in a frying pan over a medium heat. Using a large spoon or small ladle, add small amounts of the blini mixture to the pan. Gently cook until golden brown, approximately 3 minutes each side.
4. To poach the eggs, get a large pot of water on to the boil. Add a splash of white vinegar. When the water is boiling, gently crack the eggs in as close to the surface as you can (without burning your fingers!). After 1 - 2 minutes gently check pull up the egg with a slotted spoon and check to see if it is done. The whites should be firm but the yolks will still be soft to the touch. When cooked, transfer onto a plate with paper towel to dry off.
5. To serve, place the buckwheat blini on the plate, followed by the ricotta, poached egg and cut up avocado. Garnish with roquette.